Wednesday, October 1, 2008

First Art of Film post


Recently I watched the film Four Brothers directed by John Singleton and was released in 2005. I have been itching to see this movie since it was released and I was really excited once I finally got to see it the other day. The film's plot revolves around the 4 adopted Mercer brothers whose mother, who lives in Detroit, is ed in an apparent story robbery and the brothers return to Detroit for the funeral and vengeance. While all the brothers come from the same adoptive family, they all set out on vastly different lives for example, the main character Bobby (Mark Wahlberg) is a hot-head who has just gotten out of jail and leads a very different life than his brother Angel (Tyrese Gibson) who just returned from a stint with the Marine Corp. Bobby leads the brothers on a quest for vengeance, and soon learns that the neighborhood has changed a lot since he left it and his mother's was much more than a simple robbery gone wrong. The film continues on after this discovery with twists at every turn and the truth is not fully understood until the end. This type of story-telling is one of my favorite types in movies because you can develop an idea of where the story will go and you get to find out if your suspicions about things are true in the end.

The movie is also appealing to me for a bit more obvious reason, as it centers a lot of the film around intense action scenes, with car-chases and shoot-outs galore. The movie also taught me a couple of tricks when dealing with police, for example, never confess to the police on the grounds that they supposedly found one of your hairs at the crime scene, and if being interrogated about what you were doing, make sure to use the alibi, "having sex with your wife". Overall this movie appeals to just about every type of film I enjoy, including the thinker, comedy and action genres at one point or another. One of the other things I just happened to notice off-hand during the movie was that Mark Wahlberg's character looked a lot like James Hetfield, the singer from Metallica, which happens to be my favorite band, just a random thing that went through my head while watching the movie. You can judge for yourself...

Mark Wahlberg













James Hetfield































But if you look back....




















...maybe not.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like a great movie. I also enjoy action films, and this one seems especially interesting because of the unpredictable plot. Mark Wahlberg really does look like James Hetfield, that's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

I actually saw that movie and I thought it sucked. What now matt. I thought the acting was a little cheesy and one of the brothers, the rocker guy who gets killed, is someone who i have never seen before in my life, which kind o ruined it for me. See you at school!

Anonymous said...

I saw this move, and i thought it was pretty sweet. I thought that Andre 300 wasn't very good in it, though.

Lucash said...

I saw the movie and even thou I liked the action scenes and the plot twist had great potential. The acting and overall feeling ruined everything. It was a horrible cast for a movie with this feel and I just couldn't believe that the mobster in the movie would make such a big deal as to send hordes of armed men at these guys.

Borgy said...

I saw the movie but I watched on tv and it was not that good. The plot got chopped up and the storyline was more difficult to follow. I'll have to watch it again on DVD.

Kyle said...

I want to see that movie, its on a very long list of "to see movies" but i really hope it is as good as you describe it as. I never even thought about that though, he does look a lot like Hetfield in his later years, it really is kind of shocking how similar they look.

dietz said...

i have seen Four Brothers like three times. it is a great movie with good camera techniuqes and alot of action. there is alot of shooting and fighting wich makes it one of my favorite movies.